Monday, November 23, 2015

Graphic Design Retro Revival

There has been a revival of retro inspired graphic designs in Los Angeles and perhaps everywhere. I speak from the perspective of Los Angeles because I live in the metro area. Personally, I like vintage designs with modern sensibility. It's important to note that vintage features don't work well with everything.

The design should be considered within context and especially concurrent of the marketing and communications goal. I think it's important to be conscious of the design's purpose and the intended audience.


Some retro features of designs:

  • Line art
  • Monochromatic
  • Flat design
  • Distressed paper look
  • Faded colors
  • 1920's gradients and geometrics
  • 1970's rainbows and cosmic
  • 1960's flat geometrics
  • Two colors
  • Space themes
It's refreshing to see various styles of graphic design, old and new, innovated.

I appreciate retro features but I seemed to be attracted to contemporary graphic design lately. Oddly enough, some contemporary designs have hints of vintage. In the end, I just love great graphic design, regardless of where the inspiration came from.


Sometimes, it can be challenging when a client requests a style that is not immediately in tune with their audience or business. Great creativity can be explored to make it work. Though, occasionally, it is best to suggest a different route because, as a graphic artist, you know the request is way out there and will most likely not be received well. Before jumping on the bandwagon, I like to mull over an idea and think about the different facets of the purpose of the design.

When push comes to shove, my interest lies in the success of the design, which is in line with the client's goals.